“At a time when the energy industry is seeking to create thousands of jobs across the country and specifically in Texas, the President could not be more out of touch by pushing for more government regulation. East Texas would benefit from the job creation that this construction would bring and the politicians and activists in Washington D.C. have chosen to sell out American interests and leave East Texas out of domestic energy production. This tragic and reckless mistake leaves our Canadian neighbors looking to send this economic growth to China.”
The Keystone project is a proposed 1,700 mile pipeline that would transport oil from Alberta, Canada, to the Texas Gulf Coast. Trans-Canada, the energy company that plans to build the pipeline, projects the creation of 13,000 positions in construction and 7,000 manufacturing jobs.
“The beginning of construction would immediately benefit our local economy and help bring jobs and domestic energy to our region. I have spent my life around the energy industry and understand the vital importance it plays in our community. Government regulation and bureaucratic red tape will do nothing but harm the Texas economy and its citizens.”
“As this project evolves I intend to work diligently to make sure that if the final pipeline route is in Upshur County, we have the environmental safeguards in place to meet the concerns of local property owners about this project.”
During his tenure in the Texas House, Tommy Merritt served House District 7 as the Chairman of the House Committee on Energy Resources. Merritt also served as the Chairman of the House Committee on Public Safety and as a Republican Member of the House Committees on Transportation, Redistricting, Select Federal Legislation, Local and Consent Calendars, Border and International Affairs, Defense Affairs & State-Federal Relations, and State Affairs.
From: Tommy Merritt Campaign
- The Fight to Stop the Keystone XL Pipeline Continues (triplepundit.com)
- Money Morning New Report: The Truth Behind the Keystone Pipeline Project (prweb.com)
- InvestmentOptions.Net Releases Response to President Obama’s Decision to Reject Keystone Pipeline (prweb.com)
- TransCanada: Keystone XL Pipeline Could Not Begin Until 2015 at the Earliest (news.firedoglake.com)
- Green groups fight new bill tied to ‘zombie’ Keystone pipeline (business.financialpost.com)
- Al Gore Blogs About Keystone and Encourages People to Stop Latest Vote (myessentia.com)
- Senate GOP Planning To Hijack Highway Bill With Keystone Pipeline Amendment (thinkprogress.org)
- CHANGE: House Panel Approves Keystone Pipeline Bill. “The bill is the latest GOP-led effort to adv… (pjmedia.com)